If you’ve been diagnosed with hearing loss, chances are your audiologist recommended hearing aids as a treatment. Today’s hearing devices are a combination of power, accuracy and miniaturization that are truly remarkable. Our patients now wear miniature computers that range from fully inside the ear to behind-the-ear powerhouses.
Carolyn Palaga Audiology Services offers a comprehensive selection of products from some of the world’s best manufacturers. Each device is recommended for your specific hearing needs. Some hearing aids have wireless connectivity; some are so tiny as to be virtually invisible; some are rechargeable, making battery use much easier.
The more choices people have in hearing aids, the more confusing it can be. This is why the hearing test is so important; our professionals can quickly recommend the right type of device, narrowing the choices and finding exactly the right fit for you.
Styles of Hearing Aids
When considering hearing aids, there are a number of different styles to select from. Your audiologist will take into consideration your wants and needs, in addition to the results of your hearing test.
- In the ear (ITE) – ITE hearing aids are powerful and offer many features. The ITE is an electric amplifier in an earmold that fits the outer ear.
- Invisible in canal (IIC) – IIC hearing devices are the smallest and lightest available. They are recommended for moderate hearing loss.
- Completely in canal (CIC) – CIC aids are slightly larger than IIC but remain small and powerful, and nearly invisible.
- In the canal (ITC) – This small hearing aid is recommended for moderate hearing loss.
- Behind the ear (BTE) – Sometimes it is necessary to put the electronics and battery in a compartment that sits behind the ear. In a BTE device, a tube runs to the amplifier in the ear canal. The controls and battery are easier to use than smaller devices.
- Earplugs and earmolds for hunting: Designed to protect hunters from the damaging impacts of rounds fired.
- Earplugs and earmolds for music: Designed to optimize the musician’s experience by filtering out the damaging sounds, but allowing the music to reach the wearer.
- Earplugs and earmolds for swimming: Designed to stop water from entering the ears while swimming. Available in options that float, making them easy to keep track of.
- iCustom: Designed for use with any type of earbud or button-style earphones.
- DefendEar 1: Designed to amplify during situational awareness, but still block out damaging sounds.
- DefendEar 2: Optimized for intermittent or continuous shots.
- DefendEar Hunter: Provides standard digital features and also functions optimally in wind.
Hearing Aid Products and Accessories by Manufacturer
We offer these hearing devices from a variety of manufacturers. Here are some of their popular products:
Oticon features the OPn BTE hearing aid for crystal clear sound that helps wearers more easily understand normal conversation. OPn is popular in RITE and miniRITE devices. The hearing aids are rechargeable. The company also offers tinnitus SoundSupport, a sound producer that helps overcome tinnitus for some patients.
Starkey offers nearly all types of devices that are listed above. Very popular today is the smartphone-enabled hearing aid, which connects to your phone. This Bluetooth technology is one of the important innovations that electronics miniaturization has enabled.
As you can see, your choice of a hearing aid is made from a wide variety of top-quality products. Call today for more information about hearing products.